Are back pain and constipation related?

Is there a connection between back pain and constipation? I am pretty sure that I began dealing with both of these things at the same time, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together until recently. If so, should I just be taking more laxatives to help fight my lower back pain? I'm 29, by the way.
Constipation is one of the most common reasons that people seek medical advise. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor. Constipation is define as the infrequent passage of hard stool or the passing of stool only with straining. It is a very common condition and can usually be managed with increased fluids and fiber although sometimes more definitive medications will be required. Constipation distends the intestine with retained stool. This can lead to discomfort, bloating, and a sensation of fullness that can be felt across the entire abdomen and can even extend into the back region causes back discomfort. However this back pain if it is from constipation will probably be just dull and not very severe. If it is severe or worsening or if there is any numbness or tingling or weakness in the legs or groin, there are other serious causes of back pain, such as an infection or tumor pressing on the spinal cord, that could cause constipation as a side effect. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.

• Dr. Noel Smith
    Dr. Noel Smith MD
    325 Broadway
    New York, NY 10007
  • Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091