ZocdocAnswersAre chest pain and abdominal pain related?

Question

Are chest pain and abdominal pain related?

I've been having abdominal pain that I was just ignoring, and this has been going on for a few weeks. I figured it would go away, but yesterday morning I woke up and it seemed like the pain had spread up into my chest, as well. Is this possibly caused by the same thing? How serious is it?

Answer

There are several causes of abdominal pain that can also seem to cause chest pain. For example, heartburn which is caused by leaking of stomach acid out of the stomach and into the esophagus can cause both high abdominal pain as well as a burning chest pain, especially when lying down. Similarly, stomach ulcers or an inflammation of the stomach lining can refer into the chest. Inflammation of the pancreas or gall bladder will cause very severe abdominal pain in the high middle and right abdomen. This may also radiate to the back or the chest. At the same time, some conditions of the chest can radiate into the abdomen. For example pneumonia, a lung infection, or pleuritis, an inflammation of the lining around the lung, can cause chest pain that worsens with a deep breath and that is also felt in the abdomen. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.