Can a herpes outbreak cause one to cough?

I tested positive for the herpes virus several months ago after I had a lesion appear on the head of my penis. I just now began to have my first outbreak since that time, and it is coinciding with a dry cough that doesn't seem connected to any cold symptoms. Could the cough be caused by the herpes outbreak?
Having an active herpes infection can bring about some very distressing symptoms. A dry cough is not a typical symptom of an active herpes infection. However, it is possible that the two are related. Let me explain Herpes is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus. It causes painful burning ulcers that come and go during times of stress or other times when the immune system is not working as well as it is supposed to. In your case, I think that your cough may be related to being run down or another viral infection that occurred at the same time as your herpes outbreak. With that said, herpes infections in patients with very low immune systems (AIDS patients or cancer patients getting chemo) can get whole body symptoms which may include cough. This is rare, and usually accompanies symptoms that would cause you to need to go to the hospital. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Perhaps you can discuss your situation and consider taking a medication such as valacyclovir to prevent outbreaks. Good luck.

• Dr. Pamela Amador
    Dr. Pamela Amador MD
    85 Grand Canal Dr
    Miami, FL 33144
  • Dr. Michael Hamrock
    Dr. Michael Hamrock MD
    822 Boylston Street
    Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
  • Dr. Robin Snead
    Dr. Robin Snead MD
    20303 Crawford Ave
    Olympia Fields, IL 60461