ZocdocAnswersIs seborrheic dermatitis a symptom of HIV?

Question

Is seborrheic dermatitis a symptom of HIV?

I went to a dermatologist who said that my skin condition was seborrheic dermatitis. I didn't talk to him about the fact that I might have been infected with HIV, so I couldn't ask this question. Can HIV cause seborreheic dermatitis, or can it cause a condition that he might have mistaken for seborrheic dermatitis?

Answer

The first, and most important, point is that HIV is a very serious infection that has significant life threatening health consequences if not detected and treated but that can be well managed if diagnosed and if medications are regularly taken. Therefore it is absolutely critical, if you have any concerns whatsoever about a potential HIV exposure or infection, that you get tested as soon as possible. Testing is simple and available readily from your doctor and is the first step in ensuring your continued health and long life. To answer your question, there are many, many skin conditions related to HIV infection. These include seborrheic dermatitis; in fact virtually all people with HIV infections get seborrheic dermatitis in the later stages of the infection. The are also predisposed to skin infections and skin cancers. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require testing for HIV and a visit with your doctor. Setting up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible is highly recommended.