Can the Green Laser help with Prostate Cancer?

I am a man in my late 40s and I was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. Now I'm trying to get a sense of my options, and I have seen an advertisement for a green laser surgical procedure that's supposed to be effective. Is it? Is it safe? Does it work on all types of prostate cancer? How does it compare to other treatments?
Prostate cancer is a difficult, yet often treatable, diagnosis. Essential to your overall care will be close and attentive follow up with an oncologist. I strongly recommend you discuss your options, as well as the risks / benefits of each option, with your oncologist. In general, prostate cancer is an abnormal growth in the prostate gland, a part of the male reproductive system. There are many options for the treatment of prostate cancer. What your options are is largely based on the stage of your disease. Your doctor has likely already biopsied the prostate to see the type of cancer (or the "Gleason Score"). The other important factor is if the cancer has spread--or does it remain solely in the prostate. Your doctor will likely do imaging of your body. One option for prostate cancer is simply observation...waiting. Given your age, this may not be a great option. The other options depend on if the cancer is only in the prostate or if it has spread. If its only in the prostate it can be removed with surgery or radiation. If it has spread--other "hormonal" therapy is needed. Green laser is a way to pulverized the prostate. It is not recommended for prostate cancer, but more for benign prostate enlargement (BPH). Surgery or radiation to completely remove or destroy the full prostate is needed for cancer. The green laser pulverization is normally only used in prostate cancer as a last ditch palliative effort--not a first line treatment. However, each person is different. Talk with your oncologist.

Other Urologists