Can high blood pressure cuase sweaty palms?

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure several years back and I'm on medications and a low-salt lifestyle for it. I periodically get really hot, sweaty palms. It's not really uncomfortable, but it does make me worried that something about my high blood pressure is causing this problem and maybe causing other problems.
High blood pressure is one of the most common conditions in the US and is very often responsible for many of the health problems we face every day. High blood pressure is also called the silent killer because it is harmful, but typically does not cause any symptoms. In rare cases sweaty palms can be associated with high blood pressure. Let me explain. Sweaty palms are associated with activation of the sympathetic nervous system that is responsible for physical activity. The neurochemicals released in the blood make our sweat glands release sweat. They can also result in an increase in you blood pressure. In more than 90% of people with high blood pressure, there are no obvious signs of sympathetic nervous system activation and thus, sweaty palms would not typically be used a sign of high blood pressure. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician. He so she can take your blood pressure in each arm and determine if your blood pressure is currently controlled. If it is not, then you may require additional lifestyle modifications or perhaps additional medications. If your blood pressure is controlled then you will know that your sweaty palms are not related to your blood pressure.

Nearby Cardiologists

Other Cardiologists