ZocdocAnswersDoes Zoloft work for anxiety and depression?

Question

Does Zoloft work for anxiety and depression?

How effective is Zoloft for anxiety and depression? I haven't talked to a psychiatrist yet, but the more I read about it the more clear it becomes I have been depressed and have had anxiety issues as well. I don't want to take medicines, but I'll do what it takes to get better. Is it possible that one pill can cure me?

Answer

Depression, characterized by changes in mood, sadness, and changes in energy, appetite, and sexual drive, is a very common condition. Anxiety, which can be vague and generalized or concentrated in specific 'panic attacks', is also common. In fact the two disorders are probably related, in that some of the same chemicals the brain uses in its normal functioning are probably disordered in both conditions. The forms the basis for treatment with Zoloft, or sertraline. Sertraline is a SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) that modifies the signalling pathways of serotonin in the brain. This is important as serotonin is involved in both depression and anxiety. Sertraline is a safe medication that is used in the treatment of both anxiety and depression, and so it is likely that this single medication might be a good option for you. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require an interview and physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible is advised.