Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Does laser treatment work on fibromyalgia?

I am a young male, age 24, and I am living with a fibromyalgia diagnosis. I maintain my health as best as I can, and I am very careful with lifestyle factors, but the disease governs my life. I heard something in a forum online about laser treatments, but it was very vague. Is there a laser treatment for fibromyalgia?
As you know, fibromyalgia is a complex syndrome of muscular pain, stiffness, and many other symptoms. There are no perfect cures for fibromyalgia because the mechanism of the disease has yet to be elucidated. We do have treatments that some patients find effective, but unfortunately they do not work well for everyone. Therefore, many fibromyalgia patients seek out alternative therapies. Laser or light treatment is an alternative medical treatment that some fibromyalgia patient seek out. Unfortunately, there is no data to support the use of these treatments for fibromyalgia. If done correctly, they are not likely to hurt you, but they could be a waste of your money. Optimal treatment for fibromyalgia should include either an SSRI or TCA class of antidepressant medication. This should be done even if you don't feel depressed. Also, medicines such as gabapentin and pregabalin have been shown to give patients with fibromyalgia relief. Physical therapy and maintaining an active lifestyle is also important. I would make sure that you have optimized your medical treatment before seeking out alternative therapies. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she should evaluate your fibromyalgia and make sure that you are on optimal medical treatment for which we have evidence. Good luck.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N