ZocdocAnswersCan high blood pressure cause nose bleeds?

Question

Can high blood pressure cause nose bleeds?

I had a nurse tell me a few years ago that I had high blood pressure, and I haven't truly looked into it since. I'm in my mid 40s now, and I do feel like I'm in great health, but I get nosebleeds every once in a while which seems like a problem in a man my age. Could that be a symptom of high blood pressure?

Answer

High blood pressure is a very common condition in men of your age, and it is important to diagnose and treat it if it is present as it predisposes to heart disease and stroke later in life. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your internal medicine doctor. High blood pressure has many symptoms but the most common symptom is .... nothing! This is what makes high blood pressure the 'silent killer' and makes it so urgent for you to get it checked out. When the blood pressure is very high, there can be a number of symptoms, such as chest pain, palpitations, headache, blurry vision, swelling of the legs, and rarely nose bleeds. There are probably other more likely explanations for your nosebleeds, such as periodic drying out of the lining of the nasal passages, especially during cold weather. However this does not mean that you shouldn't get your blood pressure measured and, at the same time, have your doctor examine your nose! As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. It sounds like you might be due for an annual physical from your primary care doctor!