ZocdocAnswersDo fevers typically accompany sore throats?

Question

Do fevers typically accompany sore throats?

Is it normal for a fever to accompany a sore throat? I've had a sore throat for a few days and now I'm clocking in at a 101 degrees - but otherwise I feel completely fine, I don't feel really sick. Could the fever just sort of be a side effect of the sore throat, or should I stay home from work?

Answer

Sore throats and fever are one of the most common reasons for people to seek medical advise. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor. There are numerous causes for sore throat. The common cold and other viral infections of the respiratory tract cause fever and sore throat. However they also usually cause cough, nasal congestion, and runny nose. If on the other hand you have sore throat alone and fever without much of these other symptoms than the likelihood that you have strep throat goes up. Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat that can be detected with a simple throat swab. It requires treatment as soon as possible with an oral antibiotic. It is never a good idea to go to work when you have a fever, as these means that you are probably contagious and good pass on what you have to your coworkers. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit as soon as possible with your primary care doctor is highly advised.