What causes the stomach to trap excess gas?

What could cause a person's stomach to always be trapping a lot of excess gas? It seems like I have to burp way more than anybody else, even though I try to eat slowly and chew my food carefully. Is this a sign that there's actually something wrong with my digestive system, and if so what?
Stomach gas is something that something most people have to deal with from time to time. For some of us, it can be a very distressing symptom. Most of the time, gas alone is not a sign of anything more significant. Gas gets into the GI tract by swallowing air whenever we swallow food, water or just saliva. Gas can cause abdominal discomfort especially when it distends the abdomen. Occasionally, problems with the way the GI track moves can result in gas getting trapped more easily. One example is with patients that have sugar diabetes. People with diabetes have trouble emptying their stomachs of contents resulting in abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. I think that if your sign is just burping more frequently than others, you are probably fine and don't have one of these problems, but your doctor would need to make that determination. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may decide to perform some blood tests, or just try you out on over the counter gas medications. Either way, I think you will start feeling better. Good luck.

9415 E Harry St