How does alcohol affect stomach bloating?

Can alcohol cause or exacerbate stomach bloating? I have troubles with bloating, especially around my period, and I've noticed that it seems to get especially bad every time I go out drinking. If this is caused by alcohol, is it dangerous? Are some kinds of alcohol worse than others?
Alcohol consumption can cause a sensation of bloating or fullness in two potential way. First, most types of alcohol, especially beer, contain large amounts of carbohydrate calories. So, heavy drinking is essentially the same as have a very large liquid meal. This can make you feel full, just like any other calorie consumption. Second, alcohol is damaged to the lining of the stomach. Excessive alcohol intake causes breakdown in the natural protective lining of the stomach and leads to gastritis, an inflammation of this lining. This can lead to heartburn, pain in the stomach, and even ulcers and bleeding. The consumption of alcohol in excess quantities is damaging to the health. In addition to causing gastritis, it an lead to other long term health consequences, include serious damaged to the liver. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.