ZocdocAnswersWhy do eyes start to water in colder weather?

Question

Why do eyes start to water in colder weather?

What makes a person's eyes water when the weather is cold? This is a big problem for me, especially when I'm riding my bike, and I don't know how to make it stop. The thing I can't understand about it is that some days it's worse than others - even when the temperature is the same.

Answer

Watering of the eyes is actually a normal response to cold weather! The cold air stimulates the production of tears to protect the eyes and act as an insulator and lubricator. You may notice that some day to day variability in the amount of eye watering; this is probably because the humidity of the air varies from day to day, which can be more or less irritating even though the temperature is the same. The only good solution to eye watering while riding your bike in cold weather is to protect they eyes! Keeping the cold air out will keep them from watering. To do this you may want to purchase a pair of goggles that you can wear while biking, and this should help quite a bit. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern would require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up a visit with your eye doctor might be advised.