ZocdocAnswersHow can one tell if their urethra is swollen?

Question

How can one tell if their urethra is swollen?

I'm a young guy and I'm trying to figure out what the signs are of a swollen urethra. My urethra has been just kind of inflamed feeling for more than a week, and now it looks like the lip of the urethra are puffier than normal. If this is a swollen urethra, how should I treat it?

Answer

The symptoms that you are experiencing are strongly suggestive of a sexually transmitted disease. Both chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause symptoms of an 'inflamed urethra.' Particularly, you may have some burning or discomfort when you urinate, and there may be pus or a clear discharge from the tip of the penis. If you open up the tip of the penis, the urethra may appear inflamed. It is important to get this evaluated. Whether or not you have a sexually transmitted infection is easy to tell with simple office tests performed by your doctor. If you do have one, you will be treated with a course of oral antibiotics. In the meantime it is critical that you avoid having sexual contact with anyone to avoid passing on a potential infection until you are evaluated and treated. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible is strongly advised.