Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What causes fungal rashes around one's mouth?

What could cause an adult man to get fungal infections around the mouth? A lot of the information I can find about this problem has to do with babies, but I am in my 30's, and I don't understand - where the fungus is coming from - how I got it or - how I should treat it.
There are many causes for rashes around the mouth, and some of these due require medical evaluation and treatment. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. It is difficult to know what condition you have around your mouth without further description, but a common rash in this area is angular cheilitis. This looks like tightening of the skin and fissures at the corners of the mouth sometimes with cracked lips. Although these sores may become infected by fungus (meaning that an antifungal cream will help), the cause is usually a nutritional deficiency, such as a zinc or iron deficiency. The condition is common in people with celiac disease. Other conditions that are common around the mouth include cold sores, which are round, crusting lesions at the corners of the mouth that are caused by the herpes virus. If you actually have recurrent oral thrush, or a fungal infection inside the mouth, this may be a sign of an immune deficiency, such as an HIV infection. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)