ZocdocAnswersCan one have a hernia in their pubic area?

Question

Can one have a hernia in their pubic area?

Can a woman get a hernia in her pubic area? I've heard of men getting hernias in their testicles, but I have a soft small bulge right near my pubic bone that seems to resemble the descriptions of hernias. If this is a hernia, how dangerous is it? How should I treat it?

Answer

Hernias are a very common medical problem and they usually require evaluation and treatment. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue in greater detail with you will include your primary care doctor or a general surgeon. There are two basic types of hernia in the groin. The first is called an indirect hernia, and is caused when abdominal contents bulge through a channel than in men moves toward and into the scrotum and in women ends in the labia majora. These are much less common in women than in men, but they can occur, and a bulge in the labia that comes and goes might need to be investigated. The second is called a direct hernia, and results when a defect in the abdominal wall allows contents to bulge out onto the top of the thigh near the groin crease. These are equally common in both men and women. Both types of hernia generally require surgical repair, as there is the risk that the content of the hernia can become pinched off and have their blood flow reduced, which can be very serious. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.