Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How many STDs show up in a regular blood test?"

ZocdocAnswersHow many STDs show up in a regular blood test?

How many STDs does a regular blood test look for? I'm trying to determine whether I have symptoms of several different diseases I might have been exposed to. I remember that my standard screening came back clear, but what does that mean? Would it test for hepatitis C?

Blood tests are available to diagnose a variety of sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV, Hepatitis B and syphilis. Urine tests are commonly performed to test for chlamydia and gonorrhea. The usual route of transmission for Hepatitis C is via blood, which can occur through the sharing of needles for intravenous drug use or tattoos. Hepatitis C is not commonly transmitted sexually, and as such may not be tested for by a physician conducting a screen for sexually transmitted diseases. A blood test is available to test for Hepatitis C, and if you do have risk factors for acquiring this virus, you should have a discussion with your doctor and ask for a test to be conducted.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances