ZocdocAnswersAre swollen lymph nodes in one's groin normal?

Question

Are swollen lymph nodes in one's groin normal?

How unusual or serious is it to get swollen lymph nodes in your groin? I am a male, aged 34, and I first noticed these nodes about a month ago. Sometmes they're more prominent and sometimes less, but they're always noticeable - is this a sign of disease?

Answer

Lymph nodes are part of the lymphatic system, which is an important part of the body's immune system. Swelling of the lymph nodes can be a signal of one of many different findings. Infections, inflammation, and certain cancers can all be associated with swollen lymph nodes. If you are always noticing that the swollen lymph nodes are only located around your groin, one may be concerned that you are suffering from certain sexually transmitted diseases that can manifest by swollen lymph nodes in the groin. Signs of various STDs can be seen by lesions located around your groin. These may be painful or painless. They may also be associated with discharge that may or may not be foul smelling. It is important to be evaluated by your primary care doctor who can evaluate your medical history and presenting symptoms and decide what the appropriate follow up and potential treatment options are available.