ZocdocAnswersHow long does it take to get blood test results?

Question

How long does it take to get blood test results?

How long does it take to get the results back from a blood test? I just went in to a clinic for a screening for multiple stds, and now I'm just wondering how long I should expect to wait. They gave me a number to call, but will this take days or weeks?

Answer

Blood testing for STDs is a highly effective method to assess for whether or not you may have an STD. These tests usually take a few days to run in the laboratory and the results will then be relayed to you, either over the phone or a sheet with all the information will be mailed to you. Certain STDs can be treated with antibiotics, while others have no cure at this time (such as HIV/AIDS). The discussion of the various treatment methods for STDs is beyond the scope of this discussion. Your primary care doctor can evaluate the results of the test and best assess what treatments are available. Also, if you are concerned that you may have an STD, it is important to evaluate the methods you are using to protect yourself during sexual intercourse. Certain barrier methods are better than others, and it is important to have an open discussion with your partner or partners regarding sexual history before engaging in sexual intercourse. If you are diagnosed with an STD, it is important to let your partner or partners know so that they can be tested as well and receive treatments if necessary. If you do not, there is a risk that you may get reinfected with the same STD or that your partner may infect someone else.