Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What happens after passing a kidney stone?

What happens after a person passes a kidney stone? I passed a really small stone a few days ago, and I'm watching myself pretty carefully now. But I think I'm fine! If it doesn't happen again, do I still need to go to a doctor, or am I doing okay now?
I'm glad that you passed the stone. Kidney stones (as you most likely know all too well) can be very painful. Any time you develop or pass a kidney stone, you should see a doctor right away. This is because kidney stones from time to time can cause kidney failure. You want to make sure that your kidney's are okay before moving on from this event. The best type of physician to see for this is your primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Kidney stones can block the flow of urine from the kidney into the bladder. This back flow, if severe enough can cause damage to the kidneys. this is the most important reason for you to be seen. Also, if you have one kidney stone, you may develop more. You should have tests done to see if there is a preventable reason you developed the stone. This way you can keep this from happening again. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a look at you and order some key blood tests to look at your kidney function. In addition, you doctor may order some imaging studies such as a kidney ultrasound and possibly as CT scan of your abdomen. Hopefully the blood test will show no problems with your kidneys. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!