ZocdocAnswersDo doctors check for HIV during one's physical?

Question

Do doctors check for HIV during one's physical?

Is it a standard procedure for doctors to check for HIV during a normal physical? I'm going to get my yearly checkup this coming week and I want to make sure they run normal blood screenings on me, but I can't figure out if HIV is part of the routine.

Answer

HIV is not yet part of regular routine screening that all patients must get at their annual physical. However, it is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and several medical associations that adults (and even teenagers as young as 13 years old) get regularly screened for HIV. For those individuals at higher risk of contracting HIV (such as intravenous drug users and those with multiple sex partners), screening should occur at least on an annual basis. In many states, informed consent and a patient's signature is still required for a HIV test to be conducted. If you are seeing your doctor for your annual physical, you should have a discussion with him or her about your risk factors for HIV and if you should be tested. The results are confidential and will be kept between you and your doctor.