Herpes - How long does itchiness last for those infected with Herpes?

My urethra and the head of my penis has been itching badly for days. It might be jock itch, but I'm afraid it could be herpes, too. If it is herpes, how long would the itchiness last? When it does subside, if it's herpes, what other symptoms should I then expect to appear?
Anytime you develop a new symptom or finding on your genitals, you should seek out help from a qualified health care professional right away. Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus. Typical symptoms include painful, burning ulcers that appear often accompanying a fever and subside after a couple weeks only to return again at a later time. Your symptoms of your urethra and head of your penis itching badly suggests some type of infection, but it may not be herpes. Jock itch is a fungal infection that causes redness and itchiness of the skin. It does not usually effect the head of the penis, but it is possible. discomfort within the urethra could also be an infection with gonorrhea or chlamydia. Only your doctor can tell the difference between these types of infections. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your sexual activity and perform a thorough physical exam. Hopefully your doctor will be able to diagnose whatever is causing your discomfort and prescribe treatment. Remember, you should always wear a condom during every sexual encounter to protect yourself against this type of thing. Good luck.