search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can one detect white blood cells in their urine?"

ZocdocAnswersCan one detect white blood cells in their urine?

Question

I was exposed to one type of STD and I'm worried that I have it, because I have some symptoms - but they're pretty mild. I keep reading that a symptom of this disesase is having pus in your urine stream. What does that look like? How would I know if I was having that problem?

Answer

There are two main types of sexually transmitted infections that an cause urinary symptoms. These are chlamydia and gonorrhea. Both chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause symptoms like frequent urination or burning with urination. They can also cause a discharge from the urethra, which is where the urine comes out. This can either be pus-like, meaning thick and yellow to white, or it can be clear. One very important point is that many times chlamydia and gonorrhea can have no symptoms or can have very mild symptoms. This does not mean that you are not infected, however. The only way to be sure is to have your doctor perform a simple urine test. If you are positive your doctor will prescribe you a course of antibiotics to get rid of the infection. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible is strongly recommended.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances