ZocdocAnswersCan one detect white blood cells in their urine?

Question

Can one detect white blood cells in their urine?

I was exposed to one type of STD and I'm worried that I have it, because I have some symptoms - but they're pretty mild. I keep reading that a symptom of this disesase is having pus in your urine stream. What does that look like? How would I know if I was having that problem?

Answer

There are two main types of sexually transmitted infections that an cause urinary symptoms. These are chlamydia and gonorrhea. Both chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause symptoms like frequent urination or burning with urination. They can also cause a discharge from the urethra, which is where the urine comes out. This can either be pus-like, meaning thick and yellow to white, or it can be clear. One very important point is that many times chlamydia and gonorrhea can have no symptoms or can have very mild symptoms. This does not mean that you are not infected, however. The only way to be sure is to have your doctor perform a simple urine test. If you are positive your doctor will prescribe you a course of antibiotics to get rid of the infection. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible is strongly recommended.