ZocdocAnswers"After the removal of genital warts, how long is the recovery period?"

Question

"After the removal of genital warts, how long is the recovery period?"

I have several genital warts that I'm planning on getting removed, but I have some hesitation about the procedure. After the removal, how long should I expect the recovery to take before I'm able to have a normal low-risk sex life? How painful or destructive will the procedure be?

Answer

Genital warts are soft, fleshy skin protrusions that grown on the genitals and that are caused by infection with the human papilloma virus. They are highly contagious and spread by skin to skin contact. There are several options for removal of genital warts. These include freezing them or laser in your doctors office, applying one of several topical medications prescribed by your doctor, or surgically removing them if they are large enough. Freezing and topical medications usually result in a good cosmetic result, whereas surgery can sometimes cause scarring. The period of recover varies from person to person but can be weeks to months before the warts are gone. With freezing and topical medications, usually multiple applications are required. Also, not having visible warts does not always guarantee that you are not still infectious and capable of still transmitted the virus to a partner. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.