At what age can children receive the flu vaccine?

How old does a child have to be to get the flu vaccine? I took my young daughter to a department store clinic, and they said she was too young. I find this bizarre, because I swear I got my son vaccinated at the same age or younger. Why is it even necessary to wait until they're old?
The flu vaccine is an important event for all of us each year about this time. Getting the flu vaccine helps to cut down on the severity of the flu if it is contracted and to keep it from spreading around our communities. Every year, the flu vaccine is slightly different and so it is important to get a new vaccine each year. The main type of the flu vaccine is the inactivated vaccine. This does not contain any live flu virus, and this is the vaccine recommended for very small child. Every child over the age of 6 months should get this vaccine. There is another type of flu vaccine, which contains a weakened live virus and is given into the nasal passage. This vaccine is not safe for children under the age of 2. As always, discussing and managing your child's vaccines and other health related concerns is best done in collaboration with your child's pediatrician. If you have any further questions about vaccines, don't hesitate to talk to them.

Other Pediatricians