Herpes - Are bleeding lesions around the genitals a sign of herpes?

I have bleeding lesions around my genitals, and I am a 28 yr old man. I understand that this is a possible sign of herpes - what else might it be a sign of? If this could possibly indicate a number of different diseases, I'd like to be apprised of that instead of just assuming the worst case scenario.
Any new lesion on the genitals can be a cause for a lot of distress and should be looked at by a qualified physician. Physicians that evaluate these types of things include primary care physicians such as family doctors or internal medicine specialists. Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus. It generally causes painful, burning ulcers that appear and stay for about 2 weeks only to return another time when the immune system is knocked down a bit. These ulcers have the potential to bleed if they are scratched, especially if you have sharp or long fingernails. Other possibilities are genital warts. These are caused by the human papilloma virus and look like pearly raised bumps that can appear around the genitalia. Both herpes and genital warts are treatable, although herpes cannot be cured. A few other possibilities exist, all of which should be evaluated by a physician. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your problem and perform a thorough physical exam of your lesions. Depending on what is found, your doctor may decide to sent some lab cultures or blood tests before treatment. Good luck.