ZocdocAnswersIs weak urine flow a sign of a urinary tract infection?

Question

Is weak urine flow a sign of a urinary tract infection?

Is weak urine flow a typical sign of having a urinary tract infection? I am prone to UTIs, and I have been fighting one, on and off, for a long time. I've finally got all of my other symptoms to clear up, but my urine flow is still very weak, kind of stops and starts. Does that mean I still have a UTI?

Answer

Unfortunately, the answer depends on if you are a man or a women. Since I cannot tell from your question. I will give you both answers. In men, a weak urine flow is usually a sign of an enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH for short). Symptoms such as starting and stopping are very typical for BPH. This could also be a cause of UTIs since the prostate can prevent urine release making it easier for infections to brew. In women, UTI's themselves can cause weak stream, but that is usually because the pain of urination makes it hard to allow the urine to come out. Having a weak stream after the UTI is gone is not normal and should be evaluated by a physician right away. It would be very unusual for a woman to have a UTI and not have the typical bladder pain, and pain with urination. I suggest you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your problem and perform a thorough physical exam. A urinalysis and urine culture may need to be collected in your doctor's office to be sure. If your situation is complex or requires a more detailed evaluation, you may warrant referral to a urologist for further treatment. Good luck.