ZocdocAnswersCan people with atrial fibrilation get laser vein removal?

Question

Can people with atrial fibrilation get laser vein removal?

I am a middle aged woman with atrial fibrilation that I want to be very careful about. But I have VERY prominent spider veins on my neck and chest that it's important to me to get rid of, if possible. Is it safe for me to get laser vein removal, or could that interact with my atrial fibrilation in some way?

Answer

These types questions require involvement of two different types of physicians; the physician that treats your atrial fibrillation (cardiologist or primary care physician) and the physician that will perform the laser vein removal (cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist). Atrial fibrillation is an abnormal heart rhythm. You should attempt at some point (if you haven't already) to be cardioverted out of atrial fibrillation because it's better for you in the long run. Having atrial fibrillation itself is not an absolute reason that you cannot have the laser treatment. However, you are probably anticoagulated (blood thinned) because of your atrial fib and this may be a problem. Physicians that perform these treatments will have personal preferences as to what they are comfortable with. I suggest you schedule an appointment first with the physician that you see for your atrial fibrillation. Ask him or her what they think about you getting the laser vein removal and what additional risks you may encounter given you past medical history. After that, schedule an appointment with the cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist that you would like to see for you laser treatment. See if they are willing to do the procedure. Hopefully you will be able to get the procedure despite your atrial fibrillation. Good luck.