Does a bump on the base of a penis indicate herpes?

I'm a sexually active guy, age 22, and I am worried I have herpes. I have a small bump, about the size of a dime, at the base of my penis - could this be the first herpes sore? It's not really a sore, just a bump, and it's not painful or itchy or anything. Still, can't herpes cause bumps like this? Will it change if it's herpes?
Any new growth, bump, or ulcer on the genitals should be evaluated by a qualified physician as soon as possible. The types of physicians that are qualified to diagnose and treat these types of things include family doctors and internal medicine specialists. A new bump on the penis could be a sign of a few different infections. Herpes is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus which causes painful, burning, ulcers that last for a few weeks and resolve only to re-appear again during times when the immune system is working at full capacity. The description of your lesion as a bump about the size of a dime, could be herpes, but it doesn't fit the description exactly. Another possibility is syphilis. Syphilis is caused by the bacteria Treponema Pallidum. The initial infection causes a painless skin ulcer known as a chancre. It is possible that what you have is not an STD at all. That's why you need to have it checked out. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a close look at the bump on your penis and hopefully determine what it is. Your doctor may also decide to send off some blood work or a culture. Good luck.