ZocdocAnswersHow can one feel their uterus?

Question

How can one feel their uterus?

What is the appropriate procedure for feeling your uterus and determining its position? I want to understand whether or not my uterine is in the proper position for pregnancy and childbirth, because I know position is really important for fertility purposes, but I can't find any descriptions online for determining this yourself.

Answer

These types of questions about your fertility and feminine health should be directed to a board certified obstetrician and gynecologist. The non pregnant uterus is a very small structure about the size of a small light bulb. When a physician desired to feel the uterus, they use the bimanual technique. This is where two fingers are placed in the vagina to lift the uterus up into the pelvis while the other hand presses down on the pelvis to feel the top of the uterus. The exam is useful for feeling for tumors, but is sometimes tough to feel for the position of the uterus. Ultrasound is the imaging technique of choice to determine uterine position. The uterus can be positioned with the fundus pointed toward the bladder (anteverted) or away from the bladder (retroverted). The good news is that your uterine position does not effect your fertility and will only very rarely effect child birth. A retroverted uterus will correct itself long before labor. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can perform and ultrasound and determine what position your uterus is in. This will also give you a chance to discuss fertility and things you can do to increase your chances of getting pregnant.