What is a prolapsed uterus?

I started havin a lot of vaginal pain, and a weird feeling, as if my vagina was swollen an 'in the way' when I'd sit down. I also had some abnormal bleeding, so I went to the OB GYN who said that I had a prolapsed uterus. What is this and why did it happen? I know there are a lot of options - what is the best way to treat it?
Questions regarding your feminine health can be directed to either your primary care physician or OBGYN. In this particular case, a prolapsed uterus is a surgical problem and thus your OBGYN is the best physician to approach. A prolapsed uterus causes a portion of the vaginal wall to protrude out. it is usually caused by birth trauma often seen in women who have had multiple children. Ligaments that normally hold the uterus up get stretched or torn. Also muscles and connective tissue of the pelvic floor can get damaged during childbirth ultimately resulting in prolapse. By far the best way to treat this is through surgery. An OBGYN can re-suspend the uterus into the proper position or remove it all together and rebuild the pelvic floor. A non surgical option is the use of a pessary which is a plastic devise inserted in the vagina to hold the uterus back in its correct position. I suggest you schedule another appointment with your OBGYN. You can discuss the risks and benefits to surgical treatment and the benefits and downsides to non-surgical treatment. Ultimately you will need to decide if your symptoms are severe enough that you want an operation. I would say that from you description that this is bothering you quite a bit and you may wind up choosing surgery. Good luck.