What is a hemorrhagic cyst?

I was diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst, which my ob-gyn assures me is probably nothing to worry about. In the meantime, they're doing a biopsy to make sure it isn't cancerous. What is the difference between a hemorrhaic cyst that has cancer inside it, and one that doesn? What causes these cysts and why are they bleeding?
Ovarian cysts are extremely common findings in women of all ages. Physicians that diagnose and treat ovarian cysts are OBGYNs. A cyst is a membrane bound collection of fluid. There are many different reasons that cysts form and only one of them is cancer. As far as ovarian cysts go, about 95% of them are due to something other than ovarian cancer. The fluid within cysts can be made of different material and sometimes they can be filled with blood. The fact that your cyst was hemorrhagic (filled with blood) does not mean that it is, or is not cancer. In other words, the two are not directly related. It is not clear why some cysts bleed and others don't. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN before the scheduled biopsy. As him or her to explain what your particular cyst is, and what the risks an benefits are of the biopsy. Most likely, you will choose to have the biopsy done just to be sure. Even if the cyst is benign, there is still a chance it could burst spilling its contents in to the abdomen. This can cause some significant abdominal pain. If you develop sudden severe abdominal pain, you should present to the emergency room right away. Good luck with the biopsy.