ZocdocAnswersWhy are some periods light?

Question

Why are some periods light?

Why are some period light? Sometimes I will only bleed for about 24 hours, and there is very little blood, which always makes me worry that something has gone wrong, or is malfunctioning. Is this a real risk? How can there be so much variation between these months and the heavy months, if the same thing is happening?

Answer

Irregularity in the timing or character of your periods can be a source of distress and should be investigated. Physicians that can be consulted for this problem include obstetricians can gynecologists and primary care physicians such as a family doctor. The first question is if the timing of your periods are regular or irregular. If your timing is irregular, then it is possible that you are having cycles that do not result in ovulation (known as anovulation cycles). These irregular periods can alternate between being heavy or light. If you are having very regular periods that are otherwise are variable in heaviness, then this would not have to do with ovulation. Variation in the heaviness of periods can be a normal occurrence. To determine this, you may need a hormone blood test or an ultrasound. You may need to have your method of birth control (if any) evaluated. An ultrasound can determine if you have any uterine abnormalities that could cause variation in your periods. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take a detailed history of your cycle and perform a thorough physical exam. Perhaps your doctor will also order some blood work to look at some of your hormones. Good luck.