ZocdocAnswersCan adenomyosis harm fallopian tubes?

Question

Can adenomyosis harm fallopian tubes?

I was just told by my doctor that I have adenomyosis, which I guess is not a surprise because I'm over 30. But is it possible that this will damage my fallopian tubes, or other reproductive structures? I still want to have children, and I don't want to just let this resolve itself if that will hurt my fertility.

Answer

Adenomyosis can be a tough thing to deal with. The best type of physician to help you with your adenomyosis is an obstetrician and gynecologist. Adenomyosis refers to a disorder in which endometrial glands (inner most part of the uterus) grow outward towards the muscular part of the uterus. This results to an enlarged uterus. The usual symptoms include heavy and painful menstruation or generalized pelvic pain. As of right now, there is no evidence that having uterine adenomyosis effects pregnancy outcomes. In other words, your adenomyosis should not keep you from getting pregnant and will not effect your fallopian tubes. The main problem you will have is your symptoms. The absolute best treatment is uterine removal, which you can't have done since you still want to have kids. There are treatment options, but the results are variable between people. You will have to talk to your OBGYN about those options. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can go over the implications adenomyosis in your particular situation. You can discuss what treatment options are out there for you and how it will effect your fertility. This way you have the most accurate information possible which will improve you chances to get pregnant in the future.