ZocdocAnswersIs lower back pain a sign of pregnancy?

Question

Is lower back pain a sign of pregnancy?

Is having lower back pain one of the early signs that a woman might be pregnant? I've missed to periods now, and I have lower back pain - which is alarming, because now is definitely not the right time for me to be pregnant. Should I go to a doctor? I'd rather wait to see if my period will come after all.

Answer

Lower back pain is a symptom some pregnant women get. It usually occurs later in the pregnancy when more weight is being carried on the front half of the body putting more strain on the lower back. It sounds like that at most you could only be two months pregnant, so I doubt pregnancy has anything to do with your back pain. The sign that is more specific to pregnancy is the fact that you have missed two periods. The most common cause of missed periods in a woman whose periods were normal before is pregnancy. If you are sexually active and you are more than a week late, it is important that you determine right away if you are pregnant. If you are pregnant and you do not desire the pregnancy, then termination is easiest at the beginning. If you are pregnant and you do want the child, then you can begin proper pregnancy care to improve the yours and the baby's health. I suggest you start by going to the grocery store and buying a home pregnancy test. They are relatively inexpensive and are very sensitive. This will tell you almost for sure if you are pregnant. Either way I think it is best for you to schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. If you are not pregnant and this is not the right time for you to be pregnant, then you should discuss what options you have for contraception.