Can MRIs detect ovarian cysts?

My doctor suspected that I had something wrong with one of my kidneys that was causing me a lot of problems, and she gave me an MRI in my lower abdomen area. Recently I started worrying that I might have an ovarian cyst. If I did, would the doctor have seen it in the MRI, or are more tests needed?
First, I am sorry that you are having trouble getting answers to explain your symptoms. The answer to your question depends on if the MRI done caught images within you pelvis. Most MRIs of the abdomen also shoot images of the pelvic area, and if they did, then it would have shown ovarian cysts if they were there at the time of the MRI. The best type of physician to see about this problem would be an OBGYN. Ovarian cysts have many different causes and they can come and go. One common type is a corpus luteum cyst which goes away a few months after forming. Typical symptoms include a dull aching pain or discomfort within the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, or sharp pains in the pelvis. Most ovarian cysts do not have any symptoms at all. The test of choice to look for ovarian cysts is the pelvic ultrasound. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. You doctor may then choose to do a transvaginal or pelvic ultrasound to look for cysts within your ovaries. Hopefully then you will get some answers. Good luck.