ZocdocAnswersWhat causes constant pelvis pain?

Question

What causes constant pelvis pain?

What would cause a woman to have constant pain in her pelvis? I'm a 34 year old mother of two, and to be honest, the only pain I've felt that's comparable to this is the pelvis pain I had during pregnancy with my children. Is there something wrong with my pelvis? Should I see a doctor about it?

Answer

Pelvic pain is a very common complaint in women. Initially the specialty of physician who should see you is an OBGYN or a primary care physician such as a family doctor. Pelvic pain can be derived from any of the structures you have in you pelvis. Ovarian pain can occur from large ovarian cysts. Uterine pain typical occurs during your period, but can occur all the time if the uterus is enlarged. An enlarged uterus can happen due to adenomyosis or uterine fibroids. Your bladder can be a source of your pelvic pain. Urinary tract infections or a condition called interstitial cystitis can be responsible for pelvic pain that is made worse by a full bladder or urinating. Sometimes the origin of constant pelvic pain cannot be found. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for your feminine health. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Perhaps your doctor will want to do an ultrasound of you pelvis to look at the various structures to see anything abnormal. Hopefully, your doctor will be able to get to the bottom of our pelvic pain. Good luck.