Can ovarian cysts impact pregnancy?

I have an ovarian cyst, according to my gynecologist, that I don't need to worry about because it should resolve itself. But I want to know how dangerous this is to my chances of having a child later in life. Isn't it possible that the cyst could keep growing and eventually damage my ovaries?
There are several types of ovarian cysts. It is likely that your gynecologist, after having done an ultrasound, thinks that the cyst you have is a 'functional cyst.' In the normal functioning of the ovaries, cysts develop during ovulation. Sometimes these get a bit larger than usual and are obvious on ultrasound and are called functional cysts. They typically go away on their own after a few menstrual cycles, and this is probably the advice your gynecologist is following. If the cyst does not go away, or if it begins to grow more, or to cause pain, it might need to be investigated further. Luckily, functional cysts do not have any impact on the functioning of the ovaries or on the ability to get pregnant. Sometimes if they get very large they can cause twisting of the ovaries, called ovarian torsion, which causes severe abdominal pain and requires immediate medical intervention. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor is recommended.