ZocdocAnswersCan cystitis be confused for chlamydia?

Question

Can cystitis be confused for chlamydia?

I was recently diagnosed at a clinic as having chlamydia, but I'm not sure that the diagnosis is accurate - I've had cystitis before, and the symptoms are exactly the same, which makes me think there was a mistake. Especially because I haven't had sex in a really long time. Is this possible?

Answer

The answer to this question is somewhat difficult because I do not know if you are a man or a woman. I will answer it assuming that you are a woman (I'm sorry if this is not right). Chlamydial infections can occur without symptoms. Because of this, it is possible that you got chlamydia a while ago and just have not had any signs of it until now. When symptoms do occur, they usually are burning urination, vaginal discharge, and pain with vaginal penetration. The burning with urination is a symptom that chlamydia has in common with cystitis. This is why the two can sometimes be confused. In general, the specificity for the chlamydia test are very high. Thus, if you tested positive for chlamydia, it is very likely that you were had the infection. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Make sure that you tell him or her that you tested positive for chlamydia so that you can be sure that you have, or will get the right treatment. All that is needed is a short course of antibiotics to clear the infection. Your doctor will know which antibiotic and the duration of treatment that is necessary. Good luck.