What are the symptoms of ovarian cysts?

I have pelvic pain and my period have been irregular, and I know that these are symptoms of ovarian cysts (which is what I'm worried about) but I know they're symptoms of a lot of other things, too. How exactly would I know if have ovarian cysts, versus all those other potential problems?
It sounds like you have symptoms that should be evaluated by a doctor. Physicians that would be qualified to assess your situation include primary care physicians such as a family doctor, or an OBGYN. Ovarian cysts alone can be caused by many things. Most of the time they cause no symptoms. When they do have symptoms what they cause depends on what type of cysts they are. Common symptoms include a dull aching or sometimes sharp abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting. Irregular periods with ovarian cysts suggests an entity known as polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is more of a metabolic syndrome with signs and symptoms including 1. Overweight, 2. Non-insulin dependent diabetes, 3. facial hair growth, 4. irregular periods, 5. trouble getting pregnant. Ovarian cysts are also found most of the time but they are not required to diagnosed polycystic ovarian syndrome. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN if you have one. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may choose to perform a pelvic ultrasound to look for ovarian cysts. In addition, blood tests looking for evidence of diabetes may be ordered as well. Good luck.