ZocdocAnswersDose cystitis cause missed periods?

Question

Dose cystitis cause missed periods?

Is cystitis a possible cause of missed periods? I have been concerned that I might have cystitis because I do have some of the classic symptoms - not all, though. I think in the last year, I've missed my period twice, and I've hardly been sexually active. Could this be a sign of cystitis?

Answer

Cystitis, also called a urinary tract infection, is caused when bacteria get into the urine and growth there. The symptoms include burning or pain with urination, bladder cramping, and frequent urination. If you feel that you have these symptoms, an antibiotic prescribed by your doctor might be indicated. Sexually transmitted infections like gonorrhea and chlamydia can sometimes cause symptoms similar to those of cystitis. Cystitis will not cause a missed period. There are however, many causes of missed periods. The most common cause of missed periods is pregnancy. However stress and disturbances in sleep-wake cycles can also cause this. If you are missing periods more regularly, then a medical evaluation might be indicated to make sure another disorder is not causing this. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be recommended.