ZocdocAnswersCan a tilted uterus induce early labor?

Question

Can a tilted uterus induce early labor?

I had my last child prematurely, and although she turned out fine, there were some scary moments. At some point when I was younger, I learned that I had a 'tilted uterus', and I'm wondering if this could be connected. Could a tilted uterus causes this or make it likely to happen again?

Answer

Most women have their uterus tipped forward toward the front of the abdominal wall. This is called an anteverted uterus. In some women, however, the uterus is tipped backward toward the spine. This is called a retroverted uterus, or tilted uterus. For most women the retroverted uterus does not cause problems during the pregnancy. As the baby grows the uterus gradually tips forward and grows up into the abdominal space. However, rarely, it will not tip forward, creating a restricted space for the baby to grow and provoking premature labor. In women with retroverted uterus, there are multiple other causes of premature labor that are probably more important and more common, such as a genetic predisposition or a cervix that doesn't closely tightly. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor to discuss your questions might be advised.