ZocdocAnswersWhat causes vaginal lumps?

Question

What causes vaginal lumps?

What causes lumps to form inside the vagina? I noticed recently that I have two smallish lumps that seem to have developed on the side of my vaginal canal - one of them is on the front wall, facing my belly, and one is on the right side. What are these things? How dangerous are they?

Answer

Bumps on the vagina can be caused by multiple conditions. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. A very common cause of painless bumps in the region of the vagina are Bartholin's cysts. These generally occur on the lower part of the vagina in the soft outer fleshy region referred to as the labia majora. They are often not painful unless they become infected. A similar cysts, called the Skene's duct cyst, is also commonly found, although in a different location, closer to the urethra, where the urine exits. Clogged skin pores and sweat glands can occur in the region of the vagina just as they occur anywhere on the skin surface. Several sexually transmitted infections can also cause bumps in the region of the vagina. These include genital herpes, which can cause blisters or sores; syphilis which usually causes painless sores; and genital warts which usually cause fleshy painless protrusions. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.