What is an arcuate uterus?

I have been told by my obgyn that I have an arcuate uterus, but I couldn't really understand from her description what this is. How is an arcuate uterus shaped differently from a normal uterus, and what causes that shape? Is it true that this puts me at a higher risk of miscarriage?
Any diagnosis you get that may effect your fertility is always a cause for distress, especially when you don't have all the information. The best type of doctor to see for this type of problem is an OBYGN, and within the obstetrics field, a fertility specialist may be helpful. An arcuate uterus is a variation on the normal uterine shape where the uterine fundus is concave towards the inside of the uterus. The normal shape is convex outward. It is a fairly common uterine anomaly. Right now, there is no well laid out agreements on how having an arcuate uterus will effect your fertility or risk for miscarriage. Likely, the risk of having trouble getting pregnant or keeping a pregnancy has to do with the severity of the anomaly. This is why it is important to discuss your particular situation with your doctor, and ignore what your told by others and what you read on line. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN when you start thinking about getting pregnant. He or she can go through the most recent data on your risk of miscarriage as it pertains to your particular situation when you try to conceive. Good luck.