Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What causes an enlarged uterus?

Why would a woman's uterus become enlarged? During a recent exam for something unrelated, my obgyn said that my uterus appeared to be enlarged, but she wasn't clear about the root cause of this problem. Is this really the sort of thing I can just take a 'wait and see' approach with?
An enlarged uterus is very common finding during a routine physical exam. The best type of physician to continue seeing for this is your OBGYN. A woman's uterus can be enlarged for a variety of reasons. Probably the most common reason is pregnancy. If your uterus is felt to be enlarged by your doctor, or if you have missed a period, then you should take a pregnancy test. Two other uterine conditions that are very common that cause an enlarged uterus are adenomyosis and uterine fibroids. Adenomyosis occurs when the inner most lining of the uterus abnormally grows out into the out most portion. It can be without symptoms, or it can cause heavy, painful menstrual bleeding. Fibroids are benign tumors that grow within the uterus and cause heavy bleeding during normal menstrual periods and a sense of fullness within your pelvis. Other, more worrisome causes include uterine cancer and ovarian cancer. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. Have him or her go with you the plan for further diagnosis. Likely you will need a pregnancy test along with some imaging such as a pelvic or transvaginal ultrasound. These will be the best first steps towards getting you a diagnosis. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!