What causes clitoral discharge?

What causes discharge from the clitoris? This is something that has happened to me on and off for a while, and I am of course concerned, but because it comes and goes, I don't want to assume the worst. I don't think it's an STD, because the discharge is n't vaginal - just clitoral.
Unlike the vagina, the clitoris does not give off discharge per se. However, there are several potential causes of material accumulating on the clitoris that could be interpreted as discharge. The first is simply dead skin and other debris that can collect in places such as under the hood of skin on the clitoris. This is simply an issue of hygiene and can be cleared up by regularly washing the area. Another possibility is smegma. Smegma is a thick white secretion produced by certain skin glands that live in the skin around the clitoris. It can appear as a cheesy discharge and may have a mildly unpleasant odor. This is a normal lubricating substance and can just be wiped clean. Yeast infections of the skin in this area may also occasionally give off a white discharge; itching and reddening of the skin are usual signs. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is recommended.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)