search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What causes vaginal skin to flake?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat causes vaginal skin to flake?

Question

Why would vaginal skin get flakey and dry? I have been having this problem on and off since last year, and I can't find anything on the internet about it. Is it a possible sign of disease, or not? It isn't painful, and I haven't noticed any other problems - just dry, flaking skin.

Answer

The most common cause of skin irritation and flaking around the vagina is simply dry skin and chafing. This can be caused by loose fitting undergarments or by wearing fabrics that do not absorb moisture and therefore allow the skin to stay moist. Keeping the skin around the vagina clean and dry are methods that your physician may recommended. They may also recommended a moisturizer or barrier cream, such as a vaseline-containing product, to protect from the moister. Most skin care products are not meant for use inside the vagina but are generally safe to apply to the skin outside. Occasionally red irritated skin around the vagina is a sign of a yeast infection of the skin. This can be treated by use of an antifungal cream, many of which are available. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances