Book now. It's free!

What causes orange vaginal discharge?

Why might a woman have vaginal discharge that is orange in color? My vagina has been putting off this kind of thin , lumpy discharge that's a rusty orange color, and it makes me very suspicious. Can I just wait this issue out, or is it serious enough that I should go to a doctor?
Any change in your vaginal discharge is something that needs to be evaluated by a qualified physician. The best types of physicians to approach with this problem are primary care physicians such as a family doctor or an internal medicine doctor, or a specialist such as an OBGYN. A change in your vaginal discharge character or smell usually means some sort of vaginal infection. Two examples of infections that can cause orange vaginal discharge are bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis. Bacterial vaginosis is an overgrowth of a naturally occurring bacteria called Gardnerella Vaginalis. This causes vaginal itching and fowl smelling vaginal discharge. Trichomoniasis is caused by a parasite. It can cause vaginal itching, painful intercourse, and fowl smelling vaginal discharge. Both of them are treated with the antibiotic Flagyl. There are other less common possibilities that your doctor would need to rule out. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN or primary care physician, whoever you see for your feminine health. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may also decide to take a sample of your vaginal discharge and examine it under the microscope. This will help your doctor direct treatment for whatever you have. Good luck.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)