How are ovarian cysts detected?

How would you know if you had an ovarian cysts? I have menstrual pain, but just a normal amout - and I've heard a lot about ovarian cysts, and I know a lot of women deal with them, so I'm just trying to make sure I take appropriate precautions against them. What do I look for?
Ovarian cysts are common and most women that have then don't even know that they have them. Physicians that evaluate and treat women for ovarian cysts include primary care physician such as a family doctor or an OBGYN. Ovarian cysts come in many different forms. If they are felt, the cause can cause a dull aching abdominal pain that may or may not vary with the menstrual cycle. Sometimes women can get a sharp pain when the cyst rubs up against something. One entity you may have heard of his polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is more of a metabolic syndrome that happens to also cause ovarian cysts. Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome have signs and symptoms that include. 1. Being overweight, 2. type 2 diabetes, 3. irregular periods, 4. trouble getting pregnant, 5. and abnormal hair growth including the face. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms, perform a thorough physical exam focusing on the key parts of you that are effected by ovarian cysts. If anything is found on your history or physical, then your doctor my decide to perform a pelvic ultrasound to further evaluate your ovaries. Good luck.