ZocdocAnswersAre high Thyroid levels uncommon?

Question

Are high Thyroid levels uncommon?

It seems as if I have pretty high thyroid levels because my metabolism is kind of on overdrive. I've never needed as much sleep as the average person, I eat more, and it's impossible for me to gain weight. Is this a serious problem? How uncommon is it for people to be like me?

Answer

High thyroid levels, known medically as hyperthyroidism, is a common medical condition. It is a serious condition that if left untreated can cause severe symptoms and shortens your life. I strongly encourage you to see your doctor if you feel that you are suffering from hyperthyroidism. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include: weight loss, tremor, insomnia, hair loss, diarrhea, palpitations, and feeling warm. Normally this is a change. People who live life thin and fast paced rarely have hyperthyroidism. This is because you cannot live hyperthyroid with serious medical conditions. People often get heart symptoms. One of the major concerns is arrhythmia or an abnormal heart rhythm that can result in death. There are many causes of this but one of the most common what is known as Grave's disease. This is an autoimmune disease which means that the immune system accidentally stimulates the thyroid gland (in the neck) to make hormone. Medications can also cause it, as can infections. Hyperthyroidism can be easily diagnosed. The first line test is often a TSH or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone blood level which if abnormal can suggest a thyroid problem. I strongly would suggest you see your primary doctor in order to diagnose and potentially treat your symptoms.